Friday, September 24, 2010

Apotheosis

Apotheosis. 

It's a somewhat intimidating word. It refers to the exaltation of a subject to a divine level. Some examples:

I am naturally an obsessive person, and the first thing that I remember obsessing about were Legos. Don't get me wrong, Legos are probability the greatest toy ever invented, but I took it to excess. All I did every spare minute was build with Legos, think about Legos, talk about Legos, read the Lego magazine, etc. My parents (who as I said before are very smart people) decided to make me stop playing, reading, thinking, and living in my Lego world. It hurt for awhile, but as I got over it I moved on to other things, like music.

Music was not my first choice for a hobby, but even so I grew to adore it more than Legos. It got so bad at one point that in the middle of Sabbath School I would pull out a piece of paper and write down a chord progression! My life was fully possessed by music. Once again, my parents intervened and several times removed music and then reinstated it into my life.

Apotheosis is something that we are all prone to. Everyone has had something that takes the place that only God should hold. The only prescription for apotheosis is loving God. If we are willing to let go of the things that hold us, love for Him will give us freedom.



No comments:

Post a Comment